Saturday, June 2, 2007

weekly loot: may 31

This week:

USAGI YOJIMBO #103: After last issue’s emotional climax, our poor little hero really needs a break. And break he does, as other characters take center stage, giving Usagi a breather as Stan likes to do from time to time.

THE BOYS #7
(w. Garth Ennis, a. Darick Robertson)
As much as I roll my eyes at this comic, I seem to be laughing with it just as much. Ennis and Robertson fire back with the first part of a new storyline, and basically, its second verse is similar to the first. What I mean is, if you were on board and entertained when Wildstorm/DC was publishing it, you are like me, and happy that it is back. If you hated it, then you are an idiot masochist who should have known better than to buy this. Or third option: you accidentally bought this with no idea what it is, and now I feel sorry for you, because the new plot centers around a super hero that just can’t stop fucking things. Everything and anything, pretty much for laughs. But rest easy, reader, The Boys are back and they are going to make these sick super heroes suffer with maximum pain for being twisted nasty bastards. And it makes me smile. Hughie, the “normal guy” in the middle of all this, continues his descent into the dark super hero world, and really, without him this book would not have as much of as my attention as it does.


DAREDEVIL #97
(w. Ed Brubaker, a. Michael Lark)
Is this the forgotten Brubaker book? Well, maybe right now. Criminal (at least on the online community) is hot, and Uncanny X-Men and Captain America definitely have higher profiles. What does that mean? Well, it just means that Daredevil is quietly doing really good comics. The series got a little flack for “re-setting” what Brian Bendis had done, and I can feel some of that, but it is time for a new direction anyway. And a lot of the former storylines are still being felt, so it's not like they were completely forgotten. Lark is drawing some really cool action scenes, as the fights with Gladiator were intense and hard hitting. It's funny, because what I like about Daredevil right now is that the book seems to be in its own little pocket doing its own thing and not affected by the Marvel Universe proper. What I don’t like too much is that one of Daredevil’s girls is in peril AGAIN. Buuuut how creepy was the last page? My BOOK OF THE WEEK (two weeks in a row for Bru).


CROSSING MIDNIGHT #7


JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #6
(w. Geoff Johns, a. Dale Eaglesham)
When I first decided to get this crossover, I was a bit annoyed that I had to figure out a whole new team of heroes (JSA) to read a Justice League story. Turns out, there were TWO, since this is pretty much a Legion of Super Heroes story with the JLA and JSA as guest stars. At least I know what is going on, if not all the characters. I’m sure Meltzer and Johns are adding a ton of fun little inside bits, but those are going over my head. Really, four parts out of five and this has been pretty underwhelming. I wonder how the average DC fan feels about it. Also, it has been a long time since I’ve read a book with Dale Eaglesham art in it, and I just have to give him a sports like smack-on-the-ass for a good job. He’s improved a ton since I’ve seen him last and has turned into a real nice super hero artist. The double page spread with all of the heroes in battle was great.


COUNTDOWN #48: I don’t know who that New God is, or even care that he died, but Jimmy Olson’s story is the first thing that has been interesting in Countdown.


NEW AVENGERS ILLUMINATI #3: The Beyonder is an Inhuman? Um, okay.


FALLEN ANGEL #16: I think this series is really starting to miss Juris as Magistrate and as the main foil. Also, I’m not interested at all in the Shi crossover thing.


DEATHBLOW #5: Basically, the only Azzarello book that doesn’t totally work for me.


SILENT WAR #5


ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #42
(w. Mike Carey, a. Pasqual Ferry)
Just a couple of months ago I wanted to rant about how this book was pointless, but with the 616 (take that Brevroot!) book all over the place as far as cast and plot goes, this one suddenly looks like it's on solid footing. First, I’m a little bummed that Ben is no longer blue. I thought that was a fun thing to do, at least for a bit. There was some jokes to be had there. Regardless, I like that the first part of this book follows directly from the previous (flawed) story, and has some real repercussions. What is going on with Reed’s sister? I definitely like that revelation. And as much as it bugs me that the Silver Surfer is only in this story right now because of the movie, I’m oh so glad that Ferry is back on art. He is making a name for himself for sure, and his time on a second rate Ultimate title must be coming to an end. Give him an Avengers title or something.


WOLVERINE #54: What the hell is this anyway? Here you go Mr. Loeb TV writer sir, do whatever you want. This is bad comics.


No comments: