Monday, June 18, 2007

wizard world philly news

Let's see here.

#1. MESSIAH COMPLEX REVEALED
The fall/winter crossover for the X-Men Books is revealed. Well, the name and the way it is going to be published is revealed. The Messiah Complex will start with a One-Shot, then go 12 parts running through the four main titles. With Carey leading the way (and Brubaker and David), this old school crossover sounds like a lot of fun right now, as the mutants have been scattered all over the place for a
while (Astonishing X-Men?) and it's always nice when these characters come back together. I jumped on board the X-Men right around the start of the 1991 X-Men, and The Executioner's Song was my first crossover. For better or worse, those were the X-Men I fell in love with, and this reminds me of that. Good news to me.

#2. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN THREE TIMES A MONTH
In theory, I’m all about Amazing Spider-Man three times a month. I’ve long thought that this would be an interesting thing to do for the three big solo franchises in comics (Batman and Superman being the others). Huge sprawling team books like the X-Men, Avengers and Justice Leagues make more sense based on the amount of characters, but for the solo heroes it always got a little hairy. Superman attempted this for the most part with their Triangle ditty a long time ago, but here we go again. I think ultimately, we will get just as good as the writers are. But I fear with subplots moving from arc to arc (writer to writer) the book is going to become more editorially controlled than before. But maybe I’m wrong.


#3. TERRY MOORE WRITES SPIDER-MAN LOVES MARY JANE
I’ve been looking to jump on this series to give it a try for months. Could there be a more perfect place?


#4. ULTIMATE ORIGIN
Holy shit – YAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNN. This would have been the coolest thing in the world four years ago. Now it just seems tired and pointless. Mind you, I’m a sucker and I’ll pick up the first issue at least, but they shouldn’t have waited so long to do this.


#5. MCDUFFIE WRITES JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA
This is awkward news. A) I really want to collect the JLA. I like the characters, and because I don’t want to collect the entire DC catalog, seems like a good place to get most of them. B) The Meltzer run has been so-so, interrupted by a crossover and mired by continuity that I don’t know. So I’m debating on jumping off when he does. C) I really like the JLA and JLU cartoons, one of the things that made me interested in collecting the JLA in the first place, so this McDuffie thing should be good news. But D) I didn’t really know McDuffie’s comic work until the current Fantastic Four run, and that has been silly, stemming from a lame status quo that Civil War left behind, and McDuffie wanting to continue his Gravity character arc. SO, I’m really not sure if I’m going to continue with this.


#6. ADAM POLLINA RETURNS TO COMICS
This one is really exciting, actually. I’ve been following Adam Pollina’s work since his X-Force days, and I’ve really enjoyed his stylized look, especially as it has matured. The project itself, ANGEL: REVELATIONS could be pretty good. The preview pages looked pretty awesome. I’m yet to be completely won over by Robert Aguirre-Sacasa, but I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt here. Can’t wait to see more Pollina.


#7. PAD ON SHE-HULK
I was telling people that the only writer that could take over for Slott that would get me to not drop the title would be Joss Whedon. And then they announce it will be Peter David instead. Wow, for some reason this never crossed my mind, but I love Peter David and what he brings to a title, especially over time. Needless to say, I will be staying on. Good show Marvel.


#8. MARK WAID TAKES OVER FLASH
Probably the biggest news of the weekend that I don’t care that much about in regards to anything I collect or want to collect. With all that said, I’ll probably get Issue #1, knowing me. Plus, I think Kerschl is awesome.


bonus news (not from con):

TRAVIS CHAREST BACK DRAWING
For right now it's just Captain America covers, but at one time in the mid to late 90’s, there was not an artist that got me more excited. At times his backgrounds are a bit sparse, but his figure work and overall aesthetic is ridiculously good. Can’t wait to see him tackle some interiors. A special mini or something.


No comments: