Tuesday, October 9, 2007

a really average week: october 3

It was a small week, and unfortunately, that translated into a lot of three-star comics (books that were perfectly entertaining), but not too many that rose above that. You know, books that make me freak out with ape-like grunting in anticipation for the next issue. THOSE kind. Still here were my reactions:

book of the week:

SCALPED #10
(w. Jason Aaron, a. R.M. Guera)
No other book really had a chance this week. It was not the best issue of the series (as the book has been on fire), but it was still pretty good, and in a week like this one, it was plenty. This issue concentrates on the youngest character to date, Dino Poor Bear. In fact, I'm having trouble placing exactly how old he is. Still, this father to a baby wants off the reservation pretty badly, as he dreams of women and cars. Although the issue's climactic scene is a conversation between Red Crow and Dino, this issue appears to be the least connected to the overall storyline. Still, the character is well done and interesting (as is every other character in the book) and he is a welcomed addition to the brilliant ensemble.

other real good comics:

OMEGA THE UNKNOWN #1: So I should apparently know who Jonathan Lethem is, eh? And I should also know who Farel Dalrymple is as well, right? Well guess what, I don't. None of that means anything to me. Hell, even the title character means little. I've heard of the character (Gerber and all), but know nothing of the previous incarnation so this book basically stands on its own. And it works. The art was definitely "indie" and normally I wouldn't want that in a super hero book, but for this quirky and odd story, it fits. My favorite part is the main character Alexander. He talks weird and acts weird, and his demeanor and delivery is hilarious. I found the scenes after he woke up with the Doctor and Nurse to be pretty awesome. I don't know what's up with the protector hero, but I'm curious. Good stuff.

three-star comics:

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #7: Faith vs. Gargoyle monsters! Do that with a TV budget! Ha. How perfectly has Brian Vaughan fit in, eh? The conversation between Willow and Dawn was classic Buffy.

FAKER #4: The answers come fast and furious in this issue, and although this series has gone so far in a direction I couldn't fathom when it started, I'm still very entertained and looking forward to the end. To think, I almost didn't get #2.

JLA/HITMAN #2: A really fun conclusion to this little two-parter where Hitman improbably gets to finish saving the world alongside the JLA. Well, not really alongside them at all, and more like in spite of them. Good comic, which I'm sure is enhanced for longtime fans of Hitman. DC, trade these damn things already so I can read em!

UNCANNY X-MEN #491: Probably the best issue in the arc, as this has been slow moving. It appears to be setting more up for the future than anything, but that's okay considering that the BIG X-OVER (!) is coming. Hepzibah and Warpath got right to it, and aside from the light speed romance, I'm really happy with her addition to the cast.

JACK OF FABLES #15: I completely bought the reasoning behind Jack and John and why John thinks Jack is a copy. This was a good comic, now that we finally got our answers. But the jury is DEFINITELY still OUT on the addition of other immortal POWERS OF THE STORYVERSE. This could lead to some interesting stories though, and will definitely gave this book its own focus separating itself from the concerns of the Fables book. Though the question exists, will Revise et al eventually get involved in that storyline too?

WOLVERINE ANNUAL #1: CALL OFF THE SEARCH!! CALL OF THE SEARCH!! MARCELO FRUSIN HAS BEEN FOUND !!! Now, can someone please ask him why the fuck he isn't drawing Loveless? DAMN! In all seriousness, Frusin draws the hell out of Gregg Hurwitz's first comic book, with a plot that mirrors the Punisher Annual from a week ago. I felt Wolverine went a little far out of character on this vengeance though, flat out torturing people with his claws (through their eyes, etc.) but for the most part this was good. Hurwitz does some good character building with the Red Shirt though, and he definitely shows promise. As a crime fan, I thought both Benson and Hurwitz had solid debuts.

MS. MARVEL #20: Well, this got reeeallly serious after the previous two issues, didn't it? Don't get me wrong, I still had fun with the issue, but it took me off-guard. Part 1 and 2 had tons of Machine Man antics, with tongue and cheek Puppet Master doing villainous things with his mind-controlled super heroines. But here, no Machine Man jokes and Ms. Marvel being filed with rage, and basically killing the Puppet Master (she let him commit suicide) before having an internal power hungry rant. It was definitely far from bad, I just felt like the comic tricked me a bit.

MIDNIGHTER #12: This was nowhere near as cool as last issue and that BAD ASS Chris Cross drawn fight, but it was entertaining enough. It has been the best Wildstorm title over the last few months for me.

TRANSFORMERS: DEVASTATION #1: First part back after a spell, and we got a bunch of talking robots and set-up. Where is my robot-on-robot destruction? Dag! Coming next issue I guess with Sixshot on full attack, after he warned Megatron that he might just break the entire planet if he does it his way.

WELCOME TO TRANQUILITY #11: The zombie story continues. Although I'm having fun with the comic, and I really enjoy the flashbacks with older art styles, sometimes it comes across as disjointed. Still, this has been fun.

PARADE (WITH FIREWORKS) #2: I'm not sure what I think of this book. Some people have been saying they thought the art wasn't right for the content, but I disagree. Still, I thought the problems were with the story, and I thought the first part worked a lot better than this one did. Part 2 is basically a big downer where our main character Paolo, ultimately goes to jail before a last page "life goes on" moment. It was an odd point to stop the story for me, as I thought the Epilogue they ran in the back would have been a better Part 2 than what we got. Dunno. Still, I enjoyed the attempt, the book looked pretty and I'm glad Image published it.

comics with problems:

THE VINYL UNDERGROUND #1: The problem with Vinyl Underground isn't that it is badly written, or even badly drawn, because it isn't. This is a perfectly competent comic book. Thing is, there is nothing original in this story idea at all. The book came across as some weird caricature of what a Vertigo comic should be. Ultra hip lead that does drugs (in this case did), with every character trying to out hip the other one. In London. While investigating the Occult. While smoking. It made me want to laugh a bit that this somehow got through as an original idea.

um, no:

ACTION COMICS #856: I'm fully aware that this will be a minority opinion, but Bizarro bugs the hell out of me. Morrison's take in All-Star has been good, but even that title, as good as it is, pushed the limits with the issue entirely in Bizarro Earth. But that has nothing to do with this series. I mean, besides the fact that DC is over exposing a one note character that really isn't all that interesting. So basically we get a ton of Bizarro speak here via various bizarro counterparts to Superman's supporting cast. This was just bad.

No comments: