Thursday, May 3, 2007

weekly loot: may 2

100 BULLETS #83
(w. Brian Azzarello, a. Eduardo Risso)

What the end of this arc tells me is, I could read an entire mini (at the very least) about Shepherd’s past. It also tells me that I miss the character. (I also miss Wiley, but you can’t get too attached in this series.) Not only was it great to get some of Shepherd’s past, but Loop’s dad as well. Curtis Hughes comes from what is still one of my favorite stories in the series, “Hang Up and Hang Low.” The quasi-relationship forming between Dizzy and Graves is fun to read, and the ending sequence was great. A) Because we get to see some of the respect Graves has for his counterpart, and B) Because Eduardo Risso is fucking amazing. The art on that last page was perfect. As for the present day "Remi in Italy" story, I’m a bit at a loss at how this is connected to the overall storyline, but I trust that will clear itself up. A big re-read is coming of (at least) t
he second half of the series before it reaches its climax.

ASTONISHING X-MEN #21
(w. Joss Whedon, a. John Cassaday)
I really really wish this came out more often. Have I said that before? Oh. Maybe I have. Mr. John “Bad Ass” Cassaday was on fire this issue. Some really good panels going on. I like the continued buddy up of “Armor” and Wolverine. Speaks true to Logan forming Mentor-like bonds with young females. For me, it was also a big Cyclops issue. I love it when he’s being funny, “Did he teach you the handshake?” His fight with Emma during the dogfight was great as well, and I just love the way he is portrayed. I feel like Whedon’s Cyclops is the best written Cyclops since Morrison, really. He’s a real character: strong and intelligent, when sometimes he’s played as more of a pansy, almost a caricature of himself, and I like that he is far from that here.


BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #3: Even I had to scratch my head for a second with the last page reveal.


RUNAWAYS #26
(w. Joss Whedon, a. Michael Ryan)
This was an odd issue, and I was having a little trouble getting into it. Last time, I was struggling with the inclusion of the Punisher and the Kingpin, and they are still not really interesting me in a Runaways story. Out of place for my tastes, to be honest. (Although Molly punching the Punisher out was hilariously awesome). Regardless, the characters are still great, and Whedon’s writing is fun and true to them without a doubt. Art is good, but again, it pales in comparison to Alphona, and that’s too bad. Hard act to follow. (And where the hell is he popping up next, anyway?) So the first two issues have been a bit of a stumble, but I loved the last page reveal as the Whedon Runaways run finally wins me over. I can TOTALLY get into a time travel Runaways caper. FUN.


SCALPED #5
(w. Jason Aaron, a. R.M. Guera)
So as it turns out, five issues and the series is getting better with each one that comes out. Part 2 of 2 is really 5 of 5 in a lot of ways, as it finishes our introduction to the characters, their world, the stakes, and questions about what’s to come. Older characters' past relationships become clearer (what did happen with Red Crow and Gina), present-day relationships get more complicated (Dasheill and Carol, Red Crow’s daughter) and we get another mystery with Gina’s death on the last page. Why was she so desperate to talk to Dasheill? How is the lone rider, Catcher, connected to any of this? Bad Horse’s life leading up to his return the reservation was pretty cool, especially his army background. This is the next big Vertigo series, for sure. Some good comics this week, but this is definitely my FAVORITE BOOK OF THE WEEK.


DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #4: I’m getting excited for the battle at the end of this road…


PUNISHER #47: The birth of Punisherette?


EXTERMINATORS #17
(w. Simon Oliver, a. Ty Templeton)
One of my favorite issues of Exterminators in a while, but that could be because Stretch has become one of my favorite characters in the series. The idea of a bug convention (which I’m sure is real) cracked me up, but it’s a perfect place for us to meet some of Stretch’s old friends and enemies and learn a little about what makes him tick: his Buddhism, and how he wasn’t always this nice guy that he is on the surface. Also in this issue is Dr. Stuart, a nemesis of sorts for Dr. Sar who is at the convention showing off his genetically enhanced mice. The one with the cow milk was the absolute creepiest. Fun issue, even if I’m never quite sure where this series is going.


WELCOME TO TRANQUILITY #6: Solid ending to a solid arc.


MIDNIGHTER #7: Fun gimmick issue with very little meat, but fun none-the-less.


INCREDIBL HULK #106
(w. Greg Pak, a. Gary Frank)
WORLD WAR HULK: PROLOGUE
(w. Peter David, a. Al Rio, Lee Weeks, Sean Phillips)
As I think others have said, how odd is it that we had to read #106 BEFORE the issue called “Prologue.” (I bet there was an intern over there that noticed but was too scared to say anything.) Anyway, the prologue wasn’t bad, but the highlight for me was the reprint: never read it before and in the small appearance he had in #100, I really liked Mastermind so it was fun to see the first time he showed up. There was also cheesy fun from Chris Giarruso, but that was exactly what it was. The recap of sorts on Hulk as he approaches Earth was handled as well as it could, but it wasn’t interesting at all. I get it, he’s mad, but this was for people that haven’t been reading the overrated Planet Hulk storyline. Hulk #106 on the other hand, was good times. Jen becoming friends with Mastermind, her whuppin' ass on Doc Sampson. and Hercules and Angel showing up at the end were all great moments. Helps that it had some smoking art by Frank, who I’m a fan of. All-in-all, the books do their job, as I’m stoked to see Hulk smack on some villainous heroes; read: Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic.


AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE #2
(w. Dan Slott, a. Stefano Caselli)
I am so torn with this title, it's not even funny. We are now two issues in and I can’t decide if I like it or not. I enjoy Dan Slott’s dialogue and character work-- his strengths. And I even think Stefano’s art is pretty great too. And I eeeeven like the concept of the book coming out of Civil War. But holy shit, the execution is all over the place. They took the kids into action – pretty cool action mind you – before being properly trained. Hell, one of them JUST died. They were using jetpacks that they weren’t even trained for. I mean, one of the kids mentions it, but it goes out the window. On a personal level, it bugs me that Justice is having the wool pulled over his eyes. I mean, everyone is talking about the death of that kid (including probably the janitors) and he doesn’t know what is going on? Gauntlet continues to be an annoying cliché. Aaaaaand Bush’s appearance was stupid. Was it supposed to be funny? I couldn’t tell. Last page made me curious what X-Person is coming over, but that is because I’m an x-fan. Like I said, not sure what to make of this title.


IRON MAN #17: I like the style the Knaufs bring to the series. Can’t wait for more Mandarin.

G.I. JOE: AMERCA’S ELITE #23: The (clunky at times) Mike Bear pencils and colors by Jean-Francois Beaulieu have been one of the best additions to the series. Gives it its own style.

LONERS #2

SHAZAM: THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL #3

CITY OF OTHERS #2: This is not very good, but the art is decent from the legend.

ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #41: Blah blah blah, bring on the Surfer storyline. I do like that The Thing is blue. Is it bad I don’t want him to change back?

ALL NEW ATOM #11: Added it on to the Read Pile with the rest of the series.

No comments: