Friday, May 25, 2007

weekly loot: may 23

So I passed on G.I. JOE: SPECIAL MISSIONS BRAZIL this week. I had to. The price on these things is too high, even with my 30% discount. Flipped through it, and the characters weren’t ones that interested me (and I’m a huge Joe geek), plus the art wasn’t anything special, so it got left behind. It’ll be a nice acquisition in a quarter bin at a future con.

I also picked up SATAN’S SODOMY BABY on pure impulse.


This week:


CRIMINAL #6
(w. Ed Brubaker, a. Sean Phillips)
Right after #5 came out, I got out all five issues and read them back to back, and it was a great experience, leaving me salivating for the next arc to start. Brubaker excels at crime comic fiction, and I couldn’t be happier with the new arc. Tracy Lawless (whose family got its fair share of mentions in the first arc) is not as firmly in the gray area as Leo was, but that didn’t mean anything for the quality of the story. I thought the Iraq soldier background was awesome, but what I love even more is that Tracy Lawless is not dumb. In fact, he’s really intelligent. So far everything is going smoothly for him, and I expect that his revenge will have some roadblocks, and I can’t wait to find out how this unfolds. By a hair (see below), BOOK OF THE WEEK.


CAPTAIN AMERICA #26
(w. Ed Brubaker, a. Steve Epting)
Finally. The second part of the biggest little story in comics arrives. The verdict? Pretty fucking good, actually. Brubaker hitting on all sorts of Brubaker cylinders. 1) I’m interested in Sharon Carter. Her character arc is going to be the best one when all is said and done. 2) I’m WAY interested in Bucky. No one could have ever imagined that Bucky would be this bad ass. I fear for Iron Man’s life. Okay, maybe not, but its gonna be an ass-whuppin'. And 3) I’m even interested in the Falcon. (Which is a feat for me, to be honest.) The way Brubaker handled his speech was pretty great, because those things are always hard to write. The scene with the ‘secret” Avengers was much appreciated too (fuck you Fallen Son). Really good stuff. I’m along for the ride for sure. (Nice to see Rick Jones pop up somewhere.)


X-MEN #199
(w. Mike Carey, a. Chris Bachalo)
Mike Carey is good for the X-Men. I thought this after the first arc ended, and it was only cemented with the second and third. AAAAND, I think the best is yet to come. I find myself like the x-fan of old, really excited for #200 and Endangered Species. Rogue and Cable, two of my favorite X-Men characters, are getting a lot of love from Carey, and that makes me happy. He definitely gets the X-universe, and he seems to have an idea about where he is going and it all seems to blend together nicely. I’m not a big Ramos fan, but I am a big Bachalo fan (figure that), so I was really happy he was on fire here. I think some of my enjoyment of this series right now is how good I’m hoping it’s going to be. (The only nitpick I have is the Iceman/Mystique thing. Laaame. What is she, 20+ years older than him?)


NEWUNIVERSAL #6


SHE-HULK 2 #18
(w. Dan Slott, a. Rich Burchett)
OH HOLY SHIT, DON’T PISS OFF SHE-HULK. Okay, this was all spoiled with Incredible Hulk #106, but regardless, it played out well. As other people have said around the internet, finally someone with the voice of the readership smacks Tony around and gives him an earful. Of course, Tony goes and does another blatantly villainous move by de-Shulking our girl. Still, the beat-down was great, and I can only hope that Jen’s words at the end actually play out somewhere. Sadly, unless the follow-up creative team includes someone like Joss Whedon, issue #21 might be my last.


COUNTDOWN #49: Jimmy Olson has powers? So far nothing has been baaaad, but nothing has completely sold me yet. You hear me DC?!?!


GODLAND #18: You know what’s fucking awesome? The mice in suits and capes. Just needs to be said every once in a while.


GUTSVILLE #1
(w. Simon Spurrier, a. Frazer Irving)
Well, this was the surprise book of the week. It wasn’t great, but damn if it wasn’t interesting. The reason I picked it up was because of Frazer Irving. Some really fun work on Klarion the Witch Boy last year and Silent War this year. So couple his interesting eye with a wacky premise and I’m in. but who expected it to be this good? Simon Spurrier does a good job with this story, creating his own dialect and what appears to be a pretty detailed social dynamic with religion and class issues at the forefront. But really, it is carried by its amazing art. This is what Frazer was meant to do. It’s a little bit reminiscent of Klarion for sure, but here he's getting to flex his muscles even more with creative use of panels. Great colors as well. The last page surprised me, but it probably shouldn’t have. Good comic.


SPIRIT #6


WETWORKS #9
(w. Mike Carey, a. Dave Taylor)
I was never a big fan of the older series. I only read a couple at the beginning, and since then maybe a half dozen that I’ve picked up in quarter bins. But I am really familiar with Wildstorm, and I’ve read almost any appearance they’ve had outside of their book. So with this final part of a storyline, the old Wetworks team comes back and we appear to be at a new status quo at the end with monsters running around the Earth just waiting to be caught. Carey did a good job of getting me interested as the series continued, but for some reason I’ve waned here in the last couple of issues. As much as I love Darick Robertson, the art has been a mess. And maybe that’s because he was JUST doing breakdowns. Who knows. It was just inconsistent and lacked some excitement here in the climax of the issue. So I’m left here with a new staus quo, new-old characters (I really like Ab-Death) and I’m not sure that I’m excited for what is next. The book has shitty sales and now DeMatteis is coming over to be the new writer, so I’m not expecting it to be consistent. We’ll see. I’m a sucker for the Wildstorm Universe, that’s for sure.


ELEPHANTMEN #9; Not much happens (AGAIN), but I still enjoy this series.


WISDOM #6
(w. Paul Cornell, a. Juan Garica)
A fun series while it lasted, although I think my girlfriend is more bummed than me that it is over. It was a tale of two halves for me. The first three issues were awesome, and way better than the final three as far as I’m concerned. Not that the end was bad, mind you, because it wasn’t, but the first three were great, especially my favorite: #2, with the dreams becoming reality. Back to this issue, one of the hallmarks of this title (and issue) was the Skrull Beatles. Does it get any cooler than that? They were amazing. But the stand-out scene for me was Wisdom killing Miss Raven. Sad, but a really good scene nonetheless. Trevor Hairsine of course was the better artist that this series saw, but he’s too damn slow to apparently finish anything ever. I’m not sure if this series is in continuity (I’m guessing no), but I would be open to more Cornell-written Wisdom. Or anything for that matter. Has that British writer insanity that I love so much. (And I hear his Dr. Who episodes are awesome.)


MADMAN ATOMIC COMICS #2: Okay, what IS going on in this series?


FANTASTIC FOUR #546
(w. Dwayne McDuffie, a. Paul Pelletier)
I won’t rant like last issue, but this is still more of the same and not doing anything for me. Pretty much the same annoyances: First, can someone tell me why Sue is buying any of Reed’s crap? Do we forget that not too long ago she left her husband for helping commit murder? Whatever. I guess we have to get back to the staus quo as quickly as possible. While I’m on the subject of couples, why the hell does Storm put up with T’Challa’s crap? Kidding-- aside from the fact I hate these two together, Black Panther actually comes across as a bit of a tactical bad ass. So that’s good. The frogs were kind of an old-school-esque plot device that was a bit silly, and the fact that Gravity has lived to fight another day I could care less about. So, YAWN. Bring on the Frightful Four.


SATAN’S SODOMY BABY
(w/a. Eric Powell)
Okay, I bought this on pure chance. Maybe I was a sucker for the big YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ SOMETHING YOU SHOULDN’T sign on the cover. Regardless, this is the second time I’ve tried The Goon and wow, I think it might be my last. The first time was the .25 cent issue (#15?) of the regular series. It was okay storywise with some real fun art. I thought it was a bit overrated based on one issue, and left it at that. Then there was this. And boy was this a mess. Truly, a MESS. Like I said, it's going to take a lot for me to try this again. So demon boy comes out of guy's ass with huge flamethrower dick. He scares some people. Priest does dirty things to him. Goon and pal take a hammer and smash him back in. Oh, and there is an unfunny two page fake gay ad, and an even less funny and pointless scene where a female’s breasts are fondled because there weren't any tits in the book. Um, okay. Just not very funny to me. Still, I like Eric Powell’s art, and I thought the four panels where the different religions were joked on was pretty good.


WONDER WOMAN #9: Thrown on the Read Pile with #6-8.


No comments: