Thursday, April 12, 2007

weekly loot: april 11

It was a pretty big week, as far as I am concerned, so I'll get right to it. And as it turns out, there wasn't much drama at all as to what my favorite book of the week was.

ALL-STAR SUPERMAN #7
(w. Grant Morrison, a. Frank Quitely)
What can I say? It was another magnificent installment for a series that is having a legendary run. I'm almost a little sad that it wasn't a done-in-one issue, but that's just because of the wait between issues. Grant's take on Jimmy Olson continues to be one of my favorite things in the series,and I would without a doubt pay for an All-Star My Pal Jimmy Olson. (Or, Jimmy Olson, Agent of P.R.O.J.E.C.T.) Frank, one of the industry's best by far, dazzles again. Loved the bit with Superman releasing his pet Sun-Eater. Awesome. BOOK OF THE WEEK, easily.


FELL #8
(w. Warren Ellis, a. Ben Templesmith)
This was not my favorite issue of the series, but it was another really solid one. The gimmick worked for the most part, although it really felt like more of a taste of a story rather than a complete story. But that’s okay, especially with Warren’s intentions with the series. I continue to be interested in this good man in a bad world. The last page was great, especially on the heels of last issue, where we saw a hint of his hubris.






LOVELESS #17
(w. Brian Azzarello, a. a. Werther Dell’Edera)
This was part 2 of “Blackwater Falls” and so far, it's looking like it could be the best arc since the first. Recently, it seems that Azzarello has been playing the book more straight-forwardly than it has been in the past, but that’s fine, because he has done it without losing any of the book’s depth. The new villain that has been introduced is scary, and the drama of our main three characters continues. It looks like Werther has settled in as the new artist, which as I’ve said before, this book really needed. But I’ve been frustrated that there has been no mention of what happened to Frusin. I miss him.




NEW AVENGERS #29
(w. Brian Bendis, a. Leinil Yu)
This was an odd issue, since nothing really happened and we are exactly where we were at the end of #28. We spent the entire issue in a flashback about how the guys got away, even though we already know that they got away since they are on a mission in Japan. Still, I suppose some people want to SEE Tony’s Avengers actually trying to find the “law breakers,” and Dr. Strange came off as a bad ass which is always cool. Nice Yu artwork once again.





WASTELAND #8
(w. Antony Johnson, a. Christopher Mitten)
After a perfectly good one-shot drawn by Carla Speed McNeil we are back with part 1 of a new arc. And whew, a damn good one it is. The main characters are back front-and-center, although after arriving in New Begin and sold as slaves, they have been completely separated. We are introduced to new characters, which are melded with the old, and everyone has new motivations that play off of each other beautifully. Johnson places the chess pieces expertly, as this multi-layered fantasy epic turns into a hidden gem.



FABLES #60
(w. Bill Willingham, a. Mark Buckingham)
Another series that is back to its main characters, and it's all the better for it. Ambrose the Flycatcher is the focus here, and after his tragic tale in 1001 Nights of Snowfall, I’m ecstatic. The short was gripping, and his response has been, to say the least, a bit surprising. Will he kick some ass, or will his story end even more tragically? The rest of the cast is picking up on old plot threads themselves, with the two witches Baba Yaga and Frau Totenkinder both getting key scenes. And for anyone that hasn’t, please read the highly recommended 1001 Nights, as recent events with Bigby and the current plot threads with Flycatcher and Frau are playing off of those stories.


UNCANNY X-MEN #485

NEWUNIVERSAL #5

STORMWATCH PHD #6: I’m going to be sad to see Doug Mahnke go

THUNDERBOLTS #113: Osborn-type crazy is fun, but Ellis’ Bullseye-type crazy is why I’m paying the admission price, where was he?

SHE-HULK #17 – I don’t mind that she sleeps around, just her choice in men.

IRON MAN #16

NEW X-MEN #37
(w. Craig Kyle & Chris Yost, a. Scottie Young & Niko Hendrichon)
As a fan of the X-Universe, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with this book of late. Truthfully, it's been ALL OVER the place since House of M, with characters dropping like flies and plot arcs centering on the still mostly annoying X-23 character. But still, some little fun things have come through amongst the different characters and their interactions. (Granted I’m a sucker for the teen X-Book.) The new arc promises some of the fun secondary students more panel time: Pixie, Match, Anole and even Blindfold from Whedon’s Astonishing book. One of the best decisions of recent memory is to add Skottie Young (and his redesigns) to the title. I was always hesitant about his panel work in comics (his covers and pin-ups are awesome, stylized fun), but I think his youthful creative style fits these characters. I hope he sticks, honestly. And for this issue, Niko Hendrichon of Pride of Baghdad fame, was excellent in his scenes.


PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #6
(w. Matt Fraction, a. Ariel Olivetti)
This book was just so-so for me. In truth, I’ve been a bit confused by the series completely, but I guess that could be my bias towards the MAX take that Ennis gives us month-to-month. So far we’ve had a really good issue (#4) sandwiched between a few average issues doing Civil War from Frank’s POV (#1-3) and a couple of average books leading into Captain Punisher (#5-6). I’m in for the duration of this storyline (and the odd Captain Punisher outfit), but it’s going to be an uphill climb for this book for me. Again, my MAX Punisher bias might be too strong.


THE LONERS #1
(w. C.B. Cebulski, a. Karl Moline)
I’m in for the mini-series even though it didn’t blow me away. Cebulski does good dialogue, and Moline’s art is good enough, but the story so far is pretty much average superteenhero fare. I like a couple of the characters (Mattie and Darkhawk especially), but unfortunately so far the coolest thing about the book is the cover homages to 80’s Teen Movies. And was it me, or was there a lot of crying?





NOVA #1
(w. Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning, a. Sean Chen)
Aside from the Annihilation Prologue, I’m yet to read anything from the crossover. But with bits and pieces here and there from online, I know the gist of what has happened. So I wasn’t lost at all here, but I don’t think I would have been anyway. It's rather simple, Nova is the last of his cop-kind and now, really powerful. We see that he’s extremely busy, and he needs a rest. Enter an Earth which has gone through a lot of changes since Nova has ben home. So it was GOOD, just not anything special. I’m in for the two earth issues (the Speedball reunion), but since I don’t read the Annihilation stuff, I might jump off before #4. (Fans of cosmic Marvel must be stoked: they are really pushing it, and doing their best to make it cool.)


GEN 13 #7
: Um, I know that it’s the nature of the book, but the T&A was extra silly this time, and I kind of wish Simone would go in a different direction with the characters sometimes.

GRIFTER/MIDNIGHTER #2: All this does is make me yearn for a regular Authority series. (And a regular Wildcats series for that matter.)

WOLERVINE: ORIGINS #13: How long will I read this? Bets are being taken.


No comments: