Monday, April 2, 2007

the top 25 (and more)

Or rather, state of my comic boxes. This is something I’d like to do once every three months (maybe six). Just check in with what I’m reading, and where it stands against everything else. The Top 25 (and all the others that didn’t make it). So beware, this is long, but a great primer to what I’m reading and what I think of it all. As I warned before, I lean Marvel, Vertigo and Wildstorm.

THE TOP TWENTY FIVE

1-10:

ALL-STAR SUPERMAN
(w. Grant Morrison, a. Frank Quitely)
This is by far the book I look forward to the most. The classic comic shtick melded with Morrison’s crazy sensibilities. The Jimmy Olson story in #4 could be one of my favorite single issues of all time. I adore Quitely’s art, and this is definitely the kind of comic that I want to read on a monthly basis. Too bad it doesn’t release on that schedule.





FELL
(w. Warren Ellis, a. Ben Templesmith)
Another book that doesn’t come out as often as I wish it would. It’s the best thing that Warren is currently writing, and my favorite since Transmetropolitan and early Planetary. Templesmith’s art is at times beautiful, even when depicting the horrors of Snowtown.








100 BULLETS
(w. Brian Azzarello, a. Eduardo Risso)
I’m obviously not the first one to say this, but at times, this book suffers from the format itself. Definitely reads better in arcs (read: trades), but I still maintain that it is one of the best comic books on the stands. Azzarello’s little crime book still has my utmost attention even after almost 7 years. It also helps that Eduardo Risso could be my favorite artist in comics.







USAGI YOJIMBO
(w/a. Stan Sakai)
Oh, the little Black & White that could. Issue-to-issue, pound-for-pound, it’s the most consistent funny book on the stands. The cute as hell, but very deadly rabbit ronin takes place in a well researched 17th century Japan, making this book a learning tool as it entertains.








Y: THE LAST MAN
(w. Brian Vaughan, a. Pia Guerra)
Finally entering its last arc, it will be sad to see this book go. Yorick’s adventure has been one of my favorite comics for its entire 5 year run. A special shout out to Goran Sudzuka who has pitched in almost seamlessly whenever Pia has needed it.








ASTONISHING X-MEN
(w. Joss Whedon, a. John Cassaday)
The X-Men are my favorite super heroes, so it’s no surprise that this falls here. Whether the pace of the single issues is bugging you or not, hard to deny that Whedon’s sense of dialogue and fun adventure has fit in perfectly with Marvel’s mutants. Cassaday is of course one of the best in the industry, and the book’s publishing schedule is the only real criticism I could give.







THE KILLER
(w. Matz, a. Luc Jacamon)
A newer entry for me, but I’ve been very quickly sucked in to this translated comic. I love spy stuff, and although it’s nothing earth-shattering, the book draws me in with great art and a main character, essentially a bad guy, who has my attention.








BATMAN
(w. Grant Morrison, a. Andy Kubert - supposedly)
Jumps back in the top ten (because it was down), now that it is actually written by Grant Morrison AND it’s actually, you know, a comic book. I feel like Grant is doing his version of All-Star Batman here and that is fine with me. Nowhere near that quality of course, but is that J.H. Williams III coming soon?








LOVELESS
(w. Brian Azzarello, a. Marcelo Frusin - almost never)
This book has stumbled for me, but not fallen. The artist situation is tough. With a book this dense, and hard to read in the singles (like 100 Bullets), it needs consistency in the art to help keep the myriad of bearded men in line from issue to issue. Still, to me, Wes Cutter is one of the best characters in comics right now. Brutal and complicated, this is a good comic.







CRIMINAL
(w. Ed Brubaker, a. Sean Phillips)
This book could be even farther up the list as it has just been great. Obviously, I like crime comics. And this one had an outstanding opening arc, and I can’t wait for more. Their Sleeper comic for Wildstorm was one of my favorites at that time.









11-25:

THE LONE RANGER
(w. Brett Matthews, a. Sergio Cariello)
A fantastic addition to the comics scene, and to my happy surprise, its another western. Brett Matthews (of Firefly and Buffy fame) translates really well to the comics form. The plot is subtle at times, so careful reading helps.


THE BOYS
(w. Garth Ennis, a. Darick Robertson)
Yeah, it’s completely over the top, but Ennis always manages to toss in that bit of humanity (in this case, Hughie) to make all the physical (and sexual) carnage worth it.

POWERS
(w. Brian Bendis, a. Michael Avon Oeming)
Since its inception, and all the books since, I consider this to be the best thing both of these creators have worked on. The new status quo continues to be interesting.

X-FACTOR
(w. Peter David, a. Pablo Raimondi - I think?)
Three things: A) At worst, Peter has made Layla extremely entertaining; at best, fascinating. B) Jamie Madrox and the drama of his dupes gets more complicated and rewarding with each dupe he comes across. And C) It’s the only comic in the entirety of the Marvel Universe that recognizes that House of M even happened.

THE AUTHORITY
(w. Grant Morrison, a. Gene Ha)
This is only here and not in with my top 10 because of its horrible publishing schedule. Whether it’s Morrison, Ha or Wildstorm editorial that’s responsible, it has been extremely lame. Both issues have been really good individually, but the book has had NO chance to build heat. Especially with a story paced like this.

DMZ
(w. Brian Wood, a. Riccardo Burchielli)
The two most recent storylines have been excellent, and although the book has been higher on my list in the past, it’s still a damn good comic. Where will Matty’s growth take us next?

WORMWOOD GENTLEMAN CORPSE
(w/a. Ben Templesmith)
Flat out one of the most FUN comics out there. The Worm and his crew and their misadventures are endlessly entertaining. This could almost take place in the Whedon Buffy-verse. Especially the drunken, sex-crazed leprechauns. The art has been spectacular.

NEW AVENGERS
(w. Brian Bendis, a. Leinil Yu)
Finally, a Marvel Super Hero comic! Seriously, I’m having fun with this comic. Curious to see where some of the pre-Civil War threads were headed, and it’ll look great with Yu at the art helm. Hell, I even like having Spider-Man and Wolverine as Avengers too.

MIGHTY AVENGERS
(w. Brian Bendis, a. Frank Cho)
So far so good with this one as well. Love Cho’s art and love the inclusion of Ares, (sorta) fresh off of a mostly solid mini-series. Though count me in the camp that rolled his eyes when we got a female Ultron just for Cho.

WASTELAND
(w. Antony Johnson, a. Christopher Mitten)
The first arc finished very strongly, and I’m excited to see where they go from here. The stand alone #7 was good, but I missed the main storyline.

THE WALKING DEAD
(w. Robert Kirkman, a. Charlie Adlard)
The two torture issues were more shockingly gross than shockingly good; but I’m still following along with Rick and his journey, regardless of subtext taking a back seat to wordy balloons.

GIRLS
(w/a. Luna Brothers)
The book meandered in its middle, and was definitely not as strong as it was in the beginning, but I’ve waded through the heavy dialogue to somehow still be excited about how it all ends. One more issue.

FABLES
(w. Bill Willingham, a. Mark Buckingham)
Sixty issues in and we are still going strong. Just a darn fine comic book in every way. The recent Reader Question issue was fun for the fans, but let’s get back to the main story. The best covers in comics thanks to James Jean.

CAPTAIN AMERICA
(w. Ed Brubaker, a. Steve Epting)
Well, he’s dead. So I guess we’ll see what happens next. Given what Brubaker has given us the first 25 issues, I’m sure it’ll be more good comics. And how cool is Bucky now?

DAREDEVIL
(w. Ed Brubaker, a. Michael Lark)
We are in an odd place now that we have bounced back completely from the Bendis era. If the most recent issue is any indication, it won’t be ground breaking, but it will be good Daredevil comics.

JUUUUUUST MISSED:

RUNAWAYS
(w. Brian Vaughan, a. Adrian Alphona)
Still pre-Whedon here, and although I think Volume 2 wasn’t as good as 1, this was still really good comics. Will Whedon’s arc be even better for the team? Sales will be at least, I’m sure.

THE REST

UNCANNY X-MEN: just missed; it’s moving back up under brubaker
X-MEN: ditto, carey as pointman in the x-universe is a good idea
ACTION COMICS
NEWUNIVERSAL
STORMWATCH: PHD: slowly moving up
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN: still real good, clone war was fun
INVINCIBLE
DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN: never read the novels, but this is good
LOCAL
EX-MACHINA: this has moved down over the years, but still worth reading
THUNDERBOLTS
GODLAND
CASANOVA; the book everyone loves, but I just like
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
SCALPED
THE PUNISHER: ennis continues to entertain with this; an epic run
FALLEN ANGEL
CROSSING MIDNIGHT: premise would benefit from an artist with more style and vision
THE EXTERMINATORS: dropping down
SHE-HULK 2
WETWORKS: getting better
THE SPIRIT
MIDNIGHTER
G.I. JOE: AMERICA’S ELITE
FEAR AGENT
THE PUNISHER: WAR JOURNAL
FANTASTIC FOUR
ELEPHANTMEN
JACK OF FABLES: fun, but I wish jack was in FABLES still
NEW AVENGERS: ILLUMINATI
NEW X-MEN
CABLE/DEADPOOL: skottie young’s covers have been great
WISDOM: surprisingly fun, second issue was awesome
WELCOME TO TRANQUILITY
SILENT WAR
GRIFTER/MIDNIGHTER
GEN13
DEATHBLOW
MOON KNIGHT
CITY OF OTHERS
SHAZAM: THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL: real good, but I’m not the audience, kids are
THE INCREDIBLE HULK: planet hulk got better as it went along, don’t know what everyone else was loving early
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA: confusing since I don’t read DC, and now a crossover too?
WOLVERINE: wow, I’m wishing for guggenheim back
WOLVERINE: ORIGINS: blah
ULTIMATE POWER: utterly pointless
ULTIMATE X-MEN: this used to be distinguishable from the 616 x-books
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR
DEADMAN: dropped it

INCOMPLETE (books I also collect, but haven’t had a book in the last quarter):

PLANETARY: one of my favorite comics of all time, but too hard to put in here with its schedule, but it would actually be #1
THE ULTIMATES; normally a top ten
WILDCATS
QUEEN & COUNTRY: where oh where have you gone?
SAVAGE DRAGON: this one has had books, but I’m behind
SQUADRON SUPREME
ALL-STAR BATMAN & ROBIN, THE BOY WONDER
DESOLATION JONES

No comments: