Sunday, September 2, 2007

quick takes: august 22

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, this has been a busy week. So I'm going to get some Quick Takes up for the week of August 22, as I'm playing catch up. (Complete with an impulse buy at the store.)

BOOK OF THE WEEK

BATMAN #668
(w. Grant Morrison, a. J.H. Williams)
There were better contenders this week, so this wasn't the gimme that it was two weeks ago, but I'm enjoying this storyline far too much to give BOTW to anything else. As expected, Morrison and Williams turn out to be a glorious match and the two of them are just as successful here as they were in the first part. Our mystery gets moved along while our main characters have some cool moments. Williams' continues his brilliant panel design, and I'm a happy comic book reader. Let me also note, that is one of the best covers all year.

Some runner ups:

STRANGE EMBRACE #3: A wonderful series by David Hine, this is turning into one of my favorite reads.
IMMORTAL IRON FIST #8: Finally caught up on this series, and I am really glad I did. I'm not too aware of the Iron First history, but to the best of my knowledge this whole "Bearers of the Iron Fist" history is all new, and damn has it made for some entertaining comics. Too bad I haven't been reading this regularly because it was probably robbed of a Book of the Week or two. Issue #7 was a personal favorite and Iron Fist wasn't even in it! With this issue, we start a tournament. And its pretty standard Kung Fu tournament fare, but there is something that should be known : I am a HUGE sucker for anything with a bracket. And this has a Kung Fu Tournament Bracket! Fucking awesome.

Other good comics:
CROSSING MIDNIGHT #10: One of the better issues for this series so far. Starting to settle in I would say.
MOUSE GUARD WINTER 1152 #1: Welcome back Mouse Guard. Our cast is pretty large now, and via Peterson's wonderful art, we get glimpses of everyone (poor Rand) and other mouse towns.
SPIRIT #9: One of the best of the series as well.
ASTONISHING X-MEN #22: More of the same: a well written (thank you Joss Whedon), well drawn (extra thank you to John Cassaday) X-Men issue, whose importance to the real universe has been diminishing with each passing month.
BLACK SUMMER #2: Second issue in a row with some kick-ass, old school Warren Ellis, widescreen fun. Ryp's Darrow influenced art is starting to be something I look forward to as well.
GREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE #4: Ooooh, Ollie gonna kick some ass.

3-star books:
THUNDERBOLTS #116: The end of this issue was some Authority-esque ass-kicking.
X-MEN #202: I'm enjoying the storyline for the most part, curious to see if what Mr. Sinister and Co. are up to is worth all the fuss.
INVINCIBLE #49
THE ORDER #2: First issue was better, but this issue was not as strong. The character seemed like a Hollywood cliche, and I know that's the point, but it came off kind of been-there-seen-that anyway.
WALKING DEAD #40
WOLVERINE #56: Not as good as Aaron's romp with Ripclaw, but it was infinitely ore interesting than anything else that has been in this title in a good while.
HALO: UPRISING #1: Bought for Maleev's art, and I was not disappointed there. Not interested in the story at all however, this will be a "game time' decision to see if I get #2.
CABLE & DEADPOOL #44: Question: Is Bob still funny and entertaining? Yes.

Comics with some problems:
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #45
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #543: This is just all odd. This would have come across a lot better had he JUST been in this story post Civil War. And it didn't include the out-of-the-country Kingpin. Just kind of a mess all over the place. And it doesn't really end, so much as it is continuing into "One More Day." We'll see how that goes.
METAPMORPHO & AQUAMAN #1: This was the impulse buy, as I really enjoy Middleton's art. And as far as that goes, it was worth the price of admission even if I was bored by the story.
IRON MAN #21: This was odd, considering the last issue ended with Tony Stark captured and at the Warbound mercy (especially because World War Hulk hasn't ended), but I am glad the Knauf's are back.

Um, just don't:
NONE

No comments: